Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Escentual Bases That Bare All

Foundation is defined as the basis or groundwork of anything, according to Dictionary.com. So it's slightly comical to me that my foundation is the third product I put on my face (it follows my moisturizer and spackle primer). I've tried both liquid and mineral and I'm here to tell you about my experiences.

For years I used Prescriptives' Virtual Matte Oil Control Makeup. This was a liquid foundation that I got by walking up to the counter in Macy's and asking the cosmetologist for some help. And from then I was hooked. I used my liquid foundation with SPF 15 every day for probably two years. There was only one problem. It always left makeup everywhere. I didn’t know any better. My face was oily and it didn't really do much to control oil (even though it's in the name of the product!). So I stopped using foundation for a while but every so often I'd use just a little to cover up main problem areas.

Then I heard about mineral makeup. I only discovered it really because I was curious as to what the buki brush's function was. I picked out the bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation by Bare Escentuals because I had seen it won awards and was recommended by Glamour and Sephora. At first I was not impressed because I felt like the powder went absolutely everywhere except for my face. But after reading and hearing stories, I realized that you need to take some on the brush, shake off the excess, and apply in a circular motion.

I didn't really use it all that much, until yesterday. I thought I'd give it another try and I must say that I really have noticed a difference. My face has looked brighter and the imperfections on my skin, including redness and some scarring from acne, is much less visible. I’m going to continue using my mineral makeup foundation all week and hopefully it becomes something that I can stick with, especially throughout the summer, as it seems light and airy.

I know foundation, no matter what form it's in, is certainly a base. And although it's not the first thing I put on every day, it's certainly an essential.

-A

Photos: Prescriptives.com and bareescentuals.com

No comments: