Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Limited Run

I always feel slightly conflicted when limited editions come out. Does this mean I should run and get the product or just avoid it all together? Limited editions are tricky because they are only out for, you guessed it, a limited amount of time. It may be the most amazing product or color for a shadow ever, but if I can never buy it again, then what?

It used to be the case that when something was discontinued (that's a whole different story), I'd buy it up as quickly as I could find it. But what happens down the road if I tire of said product? Then I've got a warehouse collection of makeup that is virtually useless to me.

Limited edition isn't always bad. From time to time, you'll find a limited edition collection of products offered to you in one package. You may even be able to strike a sweet deal this way. But in the case of say, a MAC shadow or blush, if I won't be able to find that same shade again, I may be hesitant to purchase it.

It all comes down to frequency of use and complete obsession. Maybe it's just a summer shade or something that would be darling for the Fall season. I think it's all on a case-by-case basis, but it's hard to fall in love when you know there's an hourglass or a ticking clock.

-A

Photo: a limited edition POP wallet, from Sephora.com

No comments: