Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What's in a Name?

I'm always intrigued by the names of products. It is so important for marketers to name their product with just the right touch, like I would write a headline for an article or an author might name their book. It's products that have strange names that really get me thinking about how they'll work. What you call your product is almost as important as the product's productivity and is the key to success.

My Laura Geller Spackle intrigued me from the moment I saw it. As a sample, I figured I should try it anyway, but the spackle part made me feel as if I were about to fix my face like they fix a wall on the DIY Network. Now while that may seem strange - who wants to pretend their face is part of carpentry - it was an interesting concept to me. Spackle is actually something that fills in holes and smoothes out a surface. I tried it and fell in love.

Similarly, I got an email from the Sephora Beauty Insider this morning, entitled "Best. Mascaras. Ever." That, in and of itself, was intriguing to begin with. Then when I opened it up, they listed a few mascaras I might be interested in. Here are just some of the names:

DuWop Lash Venom Mascara
Sephora Brand Atomic Volume Mascara
Too Faced Lash Injection Pin Point


The terms venom, atomic volume, and lash injection immediately caught my attention here. I mean who wouldn't want lashes so large as to have been injected with some kind of venom to get volume that's just atomic?!

It's true, however, that not all products can live up to the names they sport. It's like juding a book by its cover. You may be attracted at first, but will this product leave you looking attractive?

-A

Photo: Sephora.com

No comments: