Friday, October 17, 2008

Falling Flat

I have a dilemma. It may sound silly. And it actually is not makeup-related. But for the sake of beauty I must ask this question: what flat iron should I be using?

Let me tell you a little story. I was about 15 years old at a debate tournament in Albany (yes, I was a nerd) when I tried my first straightener. It was a 2" Solano Sapphire flat iron with a comb on one side. I was instantly hooked and needed to purchase one immediately. Ever since then, I've been using the same flat iron. I know, it's crazy. It's been eight years - EIGHT! But I can't seem to get rid of it.

Last year, in fact, I decided that I needed a new one so of course I went with the Chi. I figured that the 1" would be perfect for me. However, it seems that this is not the case. I cannot get as straight or as silky as I do with my Sapphire. I'm actually not satisfied with my Chi at all! When I cut my hair significantly to have a bob in April, I thought the Chi would work much better for me, but to my utter disappointment it still does not.

I've been doing a lot of thinking on this puzzling problem and came up with a few things: maybe my Chi doesn't get hot enough or maybe I need to have a comb in my flat iron like the Sapphire to brush through my hair as I straighten. Whatever the case may be, I must get on it. I can't get the Sapphire again because I just feel like it's too heavy and bulky - this is technology from eight years ago that we're talking about here.

Can anyone suggest an amazing flat iron for this slightly wavy-haired gal?

-A

2 comments:

Jen said...

*new reader*

Aww, bummer! I love my Chi! Have you tried using a heat protectant spray prior to ironing? That usually helps.

Makeup Lovers Anonymous said...

I actually haven't tried that. I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip, Jen, and for reading! Welcome to Makeup Lovers Anonymous!! :)